Monday, April 19, 2010

Contentment Is Learned

Philippians 4:11-13
11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

The same writer that penned the letter to the Corinthian church wrote the words above. "I have learned...to be content."

The Apostle had been on both ends of the spectrum and through his experiences he "learned" that contentment is not based on circumstances. His attitude was that in "whatsoever state I am" - he would be content. Contentment is often "learned." It is through good times and bad times that we learn. It is through opportunities gained and opportunities lost that we learn. Many people strive to climb another rung on the ladder of success hoping they will find fulfillment and satisfaction, but when they arrive - they "learn" it was NOT what they were looking for.

The ability to maintain a steady and contented spirit in every circumstance and situation in life is definitely not something that comes natural to us humans. It takes the grace of God. It takes a constant infusion of His influence.

Joni Eareckson Tada recently wrote a book entitled, "A Lifetime of Wisdom: Embracing the Way God Heals You." In it, she makes the following statement. "How we need this abundant, free-flowing stream! It requires a special act of grace to accommodate ourselves to every condition of life, to carry an equal temper of mind through every circumstance."

She later writes, "The New Testament word translated contentment in our English Bible means "sufficiency." I've been told that Paul uses the same Greek root here in Philippians that he does in 2 Corinthians 12:9, where he says God's grace is sufficient."

The amazing grace of God is a teacher (Titus 2:11-12). If we will allow God to teach - we can learn. That is why Paul could write - "I can do all things through Christ which strengheneth me." (Philippians 4:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment