Friday, April 30, 2010

The Greatness of God

O Lord my God,

When I in awesome wonder

Consider all

The works Thy Hand hath made,

I see the stars,

I hear the mighty thunder,

Thy pow’r throughout

The universe displayed;

Carl Boberg wrote the words to this well known hymn "How Great Thou Art" in 1886. They are reminiscent of David's words in Psalm 8 - "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou has ordained; what is man, that thou art mindful of him?"

More recently Chris Tomlin penned the words to a song that is sung weekly in churches all over. "The splendor of the King, clothed in majesty; Let all the earth rejoice; All the earth rejoice. He wraps Himself in light, and darkness tries to hide; And trembles at His voice; Trembles at His voice."

There are no words that can adequately encapsulate all that God is or sufficiently describe His greatness. Carl Boberg, David, and Chris Tomlin have all made laudable attempts but in reality the task is overwhelming. David would later write in the 143rd Psalm - "Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable." Perhaps the Lord Himself said it best when He inspired the prophet to write, "To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, or compare me, that we may be like?"

There is no God - like our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment