Tuesday, May 4, 2010

God's Knowledge

As the Old Testament patriarch faced the scrutiny of his "friends" he responded with this question. "Will it be well with you when He searches you out?" (Job 13:9 NKJV). Job was facing much criticism from his accusers. It ultimately led him to ask the question in hopes of causing them to realize their own shortcomings.

It is sobering to consider that God has the ability to know every aspect of a man. Reading through Psalm 139 reveals God's omniscience...

Psalms 139:1-17

O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

Our position doesn't veil God's awareness about us. He knows whether we are lying down or standing up straight. Our location doesn't keep God's eye from following us to and fro. He is able to perceive if we are in heaven or in hell. The time of day has no bearing on God's profound ability to know us. If it is dark or daylight, he knows all about us.

The writer of Hebrews gives a glimpse of God's unmatched ability:

Hebrews 4:12-13 (ESV) For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

What is the result of being under God's microscope? What kind of things show up? Pride? Lust? Envy? Bitterness? Dishonesty? Anger? God has more than just a surface knowledge of a person. It is futile for a person to think they might be concealing their true identity from a God that possesses limitless knowledge.

The upside to this realization is that God not only sees every fault and shortcoming in a man, but He is also keenly aware of every hurt, victory, scar, disappointment, problem, sickness, mountain, valley, heartache, thorn, emotion, celebration, etc... that a person experiences. The Lord not only knows the bad side of a person, but He can see the positive also.

The Apostle that wrote to the saints in Rome said it well, "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out." (Romans 11:33).


No comments:

Post a Comment